Make sure to wash your hands before starting the project. And remember to HAVE FUN!
- Toilet paper or paper towel roll
- Stickers, markers, glitter – anything you want to decorate the roll with!
- Clear plastic container
- Translucent beads (colourful AND see-through)
- Tin foil or reflective paper
Note: Ensure glue is completely dry in each step before moving on to the next.
What to Do
- First, we’re going to decorate our recycled rolls. Make it look however you want it to look.
- Trace 2 circles on your clear plastic container and cut them out. You want to make sure one fits right inside your roll and one will stick to the end.
- Squeeze glue on the edges of one plastic circle and fit it inside the roll about 3 cm from one end.
- While waiting for the glue to dry, cut 3 pieces of card. They should be about 2.5 cm wide and fit into the roll up to the clear plastic circle (I like to cut mine bigger and longer than they need to be so I can trim them after). Once cut, try to fit the cardboard into the roll – all 3 should fit forming a triangle. Trim if necessary.
- Lay a piece of tin foil flat on the table. Squeeze glue on one side of the card board and lay flat on the tinfoil. Let dry.
- Take your translucent beads and place inside roll on top of the plastic circle (on the side of the circle that is closer to the top of the roll). Place just enough beads so that they can still move around and the circle is not completely covered. Glue the second clear plastic circle on top of the beads to keep them inside. Let dry.
- Cut tin foil around the card board pieces so that one side of each piece is completely covered. Glue pieces of cardboard together into a triangle with the tin foil facing inwards. Let dry.
- Fit triangle into the tube.
- Hold the kaleidoscope to the light, look inside and shake up the beads!